[Tango-L] Where are her feet and where is her weight?

NANCY ningle_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 2 17:42:32 EDT 2008

OK, Mario!    Now you are learning tango!!

  I think what is happening is that you are picturing
the steps you have seen on YouTube and going for the
result instead of thinking of the dance as a work in
progress not just in steps, but in every weight change
and every torsion of the body.

This is the problem with the 'automatic cross' for
instance.  I never cross automatically because many
guys in BsAs dance tango ( yes, tango) without ever
marking a cross. One guy leads the beginning of the
cross and then whips my ankle into a tight boleo
around my right foot, ending in a back step....sort of
a cross feint.

 It is all a stimulus and response thing, you see.
Yes, you must know not only where her weight is at all
times, but where it is likely to be with every move
you make and be prepared to compensate if she does not
do what you expect.  That is what a partnership is all
about and what makes every second interesting and
challenging.

   It is:
Stimulus....Response......Response......Response.......
etc

And never look down - it will throw both axes off.

Felicitaciones on your breakthrough.

Nancy