[Tango-L] The subject that never dies.

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 2 08:56:52 EDT 2008

--- Keith <keith at tangohk.com> wrote:

> IMO, the first thing every lady need to learn is how to
> make a connection with the man and how to follow. But is
that enough?  Well it is if the lady is satisfied to just
make the steps and make the 'moves'. On the other hand,
> if she wants to dance in a beautiful and elegant way, and
> I've never met a lady who didn't, then of course she must
also learn HOW to make the steps and the 'moves'.

Thank you, Keith!  The myth that women don't need to be
shown the steps was taken out of its historical context.
At one point in time that might have been true - before
ganchos, boleos, barridas, and whatnot were added to the
dance.  As I posted on this list previously, Maria Cieri
explained to me that young women learned how to do the
steps from their mothers, aunts, cousins, and friends.

Let's use some common sense, here.  Actually, if one pays
attention to what novices actually do when they are invited
into the cross without any instruction, you will notice
that almost all of them will turn their hips away, take a
forward step, turn back face their partner, and return to
standing on both feet.  That is not the cross.  I've never
met a woman who hasn't needed to be corrected on her cross
or has had to be instructed that she needs to stay on one
foot after pivoting.  That's real life, not myth.

As for women limited by the man?  Hah!  A man or woman who
thinks like that is the one who is limited.

Trini de Pittsburgh

P.S.  In another post, Alex referred to "bad habits".
Through Alexander Technique, I've learned to think of
habits as neither good nor bad.  Even a bad habit had a
usefulness at one point.  That approach, I find, is helpful
in understanding how to change a habit.

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/