[Tango-L] Help to find masculinity in tango!

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 30 18:03:50 EDT 2007

Hi Igor,

I appreciate your question and the sentiment behind it. You want to get more good men dancers into the tango scene and that's an admirable goal. However, I don't think it's a matter of masculinity vs. femininity or any such gender identity issues which keep some men away from tango. The men who think that dancing is for sissies and that men who dance are homosexuals, are not going to dance any dance unless it involves lots of alcohol and/or drug consumption and a sure fire chance to grope women ;-). This leaves all the other men who are not threatened by dancing. These guys might not stay with tango mostly because it's too hard to learn.
I will admit that watching the standard ballroom "Latin" dances, the men end up looking a little in the effeminate side. I think this is because the mannerisms that they do look more like a parody of the dance, their exaggerated hip movements don't help much either... This effeminate posturing is not prevalent in real salsa dancing or swing or tango. Still, when a jock type thinks of dancing, he perhaps thinks of the ballroom competitions he saw on TV.... Forget those guys, they'll never get into tango or any other dance. As for the rest, just teach them and encourage them to hang in there until they gain some confidence and a sense of achievement.

Manuel

visit our webpage
www.tango-rio.com