[Tango-L] Tango Music

ceverett@ceverett.com ceverett at ceverett.com
Sun Sep 30 08:32:47 EDT 2007

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:14:02 +0300, "Krasimir Stoyanov"
<krasimir at krasimir.com> said:
> ok, numbers aside, I don't want to do any counting.
>
> Here is one example, I love the music, but when I tried dancing to it, it
> was almost impossible:
>
> http://www.sinrumbo-tango.com/media/mp3/CiudadAusente.mp3

Yeah, there's a stream of very similar music that modern tango bands are
producing.  I wish the experiment would play itself out ... it's nice
for
listening but it's not for dancing.

> Another example:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtuh2dfTbBE

Yet another Piazzola clone band.  Nice stuff, but you might as well
dance
to Bach's Toccatta and Fugue in D Minor.

> And for me, it doesn't matter if it is Orquesta Tipica, or trio, quarteto
> or
> quinteto or . . . .
>
> I want danceable tango music. And it looks like it is specific enough
> that the composers don't get it right.

Actually, it's not just the composers.  There is stuff going on in
Golden Age recordings that can never be captured in any musical
notation, it does need passing down culturally.

Christopher