[Tango-L] traditional tango music

Daniel Lakeland dlakelan at street-artists.org
Sat Sep 29 18:49:04 EDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 01:39:57AM +0000, Jay Rabe wrote:

> But I want to take issue with the statement:
> > What is really odd is that what makes tango so very very special
> > is the music.
> Here's my take on it: Yes, the music is a PART of what makes tango
> special, but IMO it is not THE thing that makes it special, nor is
> it the most important thing.
> So if the music isn't the central thing, what is? For me, the most
> important thing, the thing that makes tango so special, that makes
> tango "Tango," is the connection between the partners.

These few lines completely capture my take on this subject as
well. The special thing about Tango is that it is a dance improvised
by a couple on the spot, with the emotion of the music translated into
movement through a nonverbal conversation.

I welcome those who wish to dance in a similar way to other styles of
music, or who want to dance to Piazzolla, or Gotan or whatever. There
are those who are interested in fighting over the "one true" meaning
of words like "Tango", but that doesn't interest me at all.

So to the original poster: keep on dancing to whatever you want. Good
luck finding a milonga where others will have similar interests.

--
Daniel Lakeland
dlakelan at street-artists.org
http://www.street-artists.org/~dlakelan