[Tango-L] Traditional tango music

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Sat Sep 29 08:13:35 EDT 2007

To kushi_bushi:

Before you get into a long explanation defending your comments or bemoaning
how we misunderstood you, think about what you wrote.

"after another miserable practica"..."am I the only person on earth"..."much
of the traditional tango music, whiney and uninspiring"..."spending most of my
time looking for a beat"..."sounds to me 'like a bag of cats being
mistreated' "..."am I alone in this and should stay home?"..."the local d.j.'s ...just
hate cats, or are tone deaf, or just play that crap to get me to leave."

Certainly musical tastes and styles vary and there is room on this list for
all opinions but don't expect intelligent, thoughtful responses to exaggerated,
puerile comments like those.

Many of us do in fact find the traditional tango music (and style of dancing)
VERY inspiring. We also love the non-traditional music as well but may not
enjoy dancing to it. In Buenos Aires you can listen all day to the popular tango
station on the radio and sometimes hear very little danceable music, then at
night go to milongas and never hear anything but the traditional songs.
Obviously the people love all kinds but they make a distinction between music for
social dancing and music for listening. Many people here in states could do
themselves a favor (and others on the dance floor) by learning to make that
distinction as well.
For that matter, my personal complaint is that most of the new tango
orchestras, all of whom I love to listen to, all tend to play mostly
Pugliese/Piazzola-style music at milongas and get a little boring for dancing after a while. If
you ever hear a large live orchestra (like the one from Montreal, name
escapes me) play traditional arrangements, it is incredible and very inspiring.
Cheers,
Charles