[Tango-L] Tango Music

meaning of life kushi_bushi at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 28 21:44:24 EDT 2007

amazed, but not surprised.

first, i want to thank sergio for his dead on answer to my question (you, my new friend, must be a great teacher), and of course heather for her response, certainly your cat is welcome, EVERYONE IS WELCOME WHEN AND WHERE I DANCE.

the question did not in any way, say that i "hated" ALL tango music, or that i "hated any" tango music for that matter (my mother says i am not supposed to use that word, so i don't. i was asking if others found some of the music "whiney and uninspiring". obviously from the back channel answers, others have the same feelings. sergio so aptly points out that there are many kinds, reasons, styles, etc. of tango music, some which can be danced to, almost NEEDS to be danced to, and some that can't. he also makes a great point of the "journey" and one of the greatest metaphors EVER! "When this happened to me I felt like I had been walking by a beautiful tree covered with flowers that I had never noticed before, yet it had been there all the time in all his complete magnificence." (i'm gonna borrow that one, OK?). i suspect that my real problem is the local dj's not fully understanding the music, and playing the "wrong stuff".

i sure hope that those of you with the "judgmental answers" NEVER EVER TRY TO TEACH ANYTHING TO ANY ONE, i can almost assure that you will never succeed (refer to sergios response for a positive example). I have spent more than 30 years teaching another movement based and equally passionate endeavor; i have welcomed everyone from little girls to professional cage fighters. old people, young people, athletes and klutzes, even ballerinas. i have loved to watch each of them explore my "world" from their own perspective. i have treated every single one of them with the highest respect, and been excited about everything that they were excited about. i have bit my lip when they asked questions that made ME evaluate what i did and why i did it. i have nearly passed out when they "added" their stuff to my stuff. i have learned so much from them, and TRIED never to judge them for their questions, or their experimentation (not that they did not pi$$ me off sometimes). any of you judgmental guys jewish? (got a jewish friend?) remember "the 4 types of children" from passover, reread that section of your favorite hagadah. my post was a question, not a condemnation, or ment to be disrespectful in anyway to the traditions, the past, the current or the future (there WILL be one you know?)

the tango is a beautiful dance, life and music style. do you really think that it should remain stagnant? OF COURSE we should respect the past dancers, music and lifestyle, and understand them in the fullest depths,  but do we need to dwell in the past and not move forward? omg (i love that), is there no more than what currently is? flat earth and dinosaurs eating little guys with clubs? oh oh, things evolve. some people stand on the current state of things shoulders and REACH UP. and sometimes they fall, and then the special ones get up and reach again. and one day, one of them will touch the stars, and the next one will stand on his (or her) shoulders.

get over your bad selves and DANCE. who freaking cares what dance (or what you call it), if you love it, DANCE IT, TO WHATEVER MUSIC YOU WANT, whenever and wherever you want; i ripped off a mean solo in the tool section at home depot this morning looking at a new sander. and grumpy people, who are you to judge? when you see someone loving their dance, be happy for them, just as you would want them to be happy for you.

dance onthe tangnista
supported by PETA (People Expressing Tango Attitude) "no cats were injured in the making of our music"