[Tango-L] No arms?

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Wed Sep 26 16:00:15 EDT 2007

It is an incredible mistake to teach people to dance without arms.
Great male dancers never lead "from the chest".  Instead, they lead
from the embrace, which includes everything.  Leading "from the chest"
results in dancers walking like chickens and stepping on the woman
because the arms that hold her are asleep.  Not to mention annoying
the women with a dead, empty embrace.

If you don't like holding women in your embrace, then you are right -
you do not need the arms.

Where did people get these ideas of "leading from the chest"?  I have
never heard any of the great masters (Mingo Pugliese, Carlos Gavito,
Pepito Avellaneda, and others) to ever teach this.  The embrace is
what ahs always been emphasized.

Best,

Nina