[Tango-L] what makes milonguero, milonguero (Part 2)

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 00:11:54 EDT 2007

I pressed the 'send' button instead of the 'save' button, so here's the
second part
________

Due to fairly continous variation in styles, in Buenos Aires it would be
difficult to demarcate clear boundaries such as 'milonguero style' vs.
'salon style'. By definition, all variations of tango danced in the milongas
comprise 'tango de salon'. 'Tango fantasia', or tango for the stage, is
distinct and rarely danced at BA milongas (although there are some
exceptions, particularly by tango fantasia instructors at milongas
frequented by tourists.

Outside of Buenos Aires, tango for the stage is danced regularly at milongas
and in many areas is the norm or most popular style. In many milongas there
are also those who dance a representative of stylistic variation in Buenos
Aires that has been labeled 'milonguero style'. Unlike Buenos Aires, where
there is nearly continuous variation in stylistic features, although nearly
all are in some form of close embrace, outside Argentina  there is a gap,
with the close embrace 'milonguero style' being distinctly different from a
range of variants of stage tango. Thus, outside Argentina it may be useful
to refer to these differences as different styles because they involve
different technique and, to a large degree, a different repertoire of
'steps'.

However, in Buenos Aires, the term 'milonguero style' and trying to define
it becomes muddled within the lack of agreement regarding the definition of
a milonguero and the range of stylistic variation even among dancers that
fit a narrow definition of milonguero.

Ron