[Tango-L] what makes milonguero, milonguero

TimmyTango@aol.com TimmyTango at aol.com
Thu Sep 20 18:24:57 EDT 2007

My feeling about milonguero style is that a lot of people are not educated in
knowing what the difference is between Milonguero vs Salon or close embrace
style.
I feel that a lot of people think they are dancing milongero only because
they are dancing close to their partner. This is false in my book.

To me:
close embrace is not Milonguero.
but
Milonguero is close embrace

Ask this to most people and I think a lot of people could not answer this
well.

It would be interesting to hear from the L list what you feel the difference
is between close embrace (salon) vs. what makes it Milonguero and lets educate
those who don't really know.

It's my feelings that
1. A Milonguero is basically just walking his entire dance, very close, and
  not separating or opening very much. (yes, they breath a little, but
not much)
2. A Milonguero steps all of his turn to the beat of the music.
3. A Milonguero walks a higher percentage of the dance in the cross
walking system vs. Parallel.
4. a Milonguero stops or pauses the lady on one foot, he is on two.
5.  A Milonguero does not do Gaunchos, or throw the lady up in the air
    and land her on his knee. And a lot more embellishments.
6. Yes, a milonguero can do Boleos, but the women's foot stays on the
    floor, not lifting up in the air.
7. a Milonguero dances for his partner, not the audience.

NOW, would you like to correct any of my differences or add to the list.
Please, I'd like to hear your thoughts

Timmy in Cleveland