[Tango-L] Women dressed as men in tango

Konstantin Zahariev anfractuoso at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 02:23:09 EDT 2007

On 9/13/07, Sergio Vandekier <sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> them as examples of historical facts that are generally accepted today and
> largely ignored by the foreign public.

Quite the contrary - the foreign public was fed all the stereotypes,
almost exclusively. It is only in the last ten years or so that a more
systematic research has been done. Your ideas are/were generally
accepted, that is correct - there are a few well-known books written
by the early tango historians (with few references to primary sources)
that get quoted over and over (and that sometimes quote each other).
But we have moved now beyond what they knew or believed in, and we
have the benefit of more systematic research and more years of
knowledge and investigations.

I am certainly not dismissing them since they were correct probably
some 95 percent of the time, but for the remaining 5 percent I am not
willing to blindly take them on faith just because Vega or Gesualdo or
Ferrer or Matamoro or Rossi said something without providing primary
sources, and it got validated by the others referencing him and each
other.

> I am not willing to discuss this further, this couuld be time consuming. you
> are entitled to your own opinion.

It is definitely time consuming which is why I have not posted here in
detail on these subjects.

With best regards,

Konstantin
Victoria, Canada