[Tango-L] The german Tango-teacher speaks ;-)

Melina Sedo & Detlef Engel tango at tangodesalon.de
Tue Sep 4 11:38:38 EDT 2007

Dear Janis, hello everybody.

First of all, I'd like to thank Trini, Ron and the others who
explained, that teaching Tango is not the prerogative of the
argentineans.

As a matter of fact, we have studied with quite a few argentinean and
non-argentinean teachers. Some of them where excellent dancers and
teachers, some of them where a desaster. Beeing a good Tango teacher
does not come automatically with beeing a good Tango dancer and even
that does not come with the argentinean genes. I would give any
american teacher travelling to Europe the same fair chance as an
argentinean!

And, Janis, here are a few comments to your insinuations:

 >Is it because these Germans travel at their own expense on tourist
visas?

As Trini already stated: These Germans actually apply for the visa.

 >Or because there is so much money to be made from weekend workshop and
 >festivals?

Well.... every tango teacher who is NOT an argentinean super-star
will tell you, that there is no chance in becoming a millionaire. If
I had that in mind, I would have studied economics or at least kept
my old profession as a Psychologist. ;-)

Actually the pay is much, much better in Europe and if you deduct the
travelling costs, the cost for the visa application and the fact,
that all the classes in Europe are on a hold while beeing in the USA...

OK, you're right, Janis: it IS really crazy to come to the States!  ;-))

But.... We've met a lot of very nice people in the USA, who share our
idea of social Tango. The American dancers are an open-minded,
seriously interested and hard-working crowd and we are really looking
forward to meeting them.

 >What can you get from a German couple in two days that you haven't
already
 >learned from Argentines or Americans?

Please just ask our students.   ;-)

Well, that's it for the moment. So, dear Janis, if you've got any
unsolved questions, that we'd might be able to answer, please write
us directly.

Hope to meet you all soon,

Melina

Melina Sedo & Detlef Engel