[Tango-L] Daniel Borelli in Buenos Aires milongas

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Mon Sep 3 19:10:57 EDT 2007

Janis wrote:

> Vivi was trained by Dany, but I feel she sets the
> volume too high.  I begged her to lower the sound level

Well, having been near-deafened by Dany this afternoon at El Arranque,
I can see where she learnt it. He was using a massive bass boost
(about 10dB). To my "Why???" he answered "For the... boom, boom,
boom!". Sigh. You can sort of see why the two of them wear headphones
so much. And why their audiences include so few who aren't already
going deaf from old age.

It was also interesting to hear his idea of what consititutes a vals
tanda: any mixture of popular valses, it seems. E.g. a mismatch of one
each from D'Agostino, Caló and D'Angelis. In contrast his tango tandas
have really good match in feel. I can't imagine why any DJ would think
vals doesn't deserve the same treatment as tango.

To my list of favourite DJs I´ve added Carlos Rey. I find him truly
excellent. He played last week at Centro Region Leonesa on Wednesday
and Maipu 444 on Saturday.

Neil wrote:

> Mario Orlando is playing louder and louder every year.

Mario is a mystery. Only a few weeks ago I heard him play three times
in Stockholm - he was consistently way too loud. Since then I´ve heard
him play three times here in Bs As - perfect.

Chris