[Tango-L] Tango Creeps - A Question for Halloween

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 13:43:40 EDT 2007

On 10/25/07, Keith <keith at tangohk.com> wrote:

> I've always been taught that the woman determines the nature of the
> embrace.
> The man simply opens his right arm and the woman completes the embrace.
> Whether
> she takes an open or a close embrace - the man respects it. It's not
> uncommon
> for a woman to start in an open embrace and, by the end of the tanda, the
> embrace
> is close. There should never be any question of the man pulling in the
> woman or
> of women ... "fighting like bucking broncos to break the embrace".
>
> If the man doesn't like the woman's choice of embrace, he can simply
> choose not
> to ask her to dance again.
>
> Keith, HK

A female tourist goes to Buenos Aires for the first time and goes to a
milonga. She somehow accidently understands the cabeceo and a porten~o
approaches her for a dance. He engages her in the embrace and she pulls
away. At the end of the first song of the tanda, he escorts her back to her
seat and no one else asks her to dance for the remainder of the evening.

In Buenos Aires it is understood that tango is danced in the (close)
embrace. Somehow something has been lost in translation (transmission) as
tango has been adapted to suit local customs around the world.

We are talking about tango here, the danced that originated in Buenos Aires,
aren't we? Maybe we can give that dance that breaks the embrace another name
so we don't get confused.

Of course, even in Buenos Aires a woman can refuse to dance with a man
because his embrace is unconfortable and there is no paucity of lechers and
drunkards in milongas there either.

Ron

On Fri Oct 26  0:42 , "Tango Society of Central Illinois"  sent: