[Tango-L] heels, et al

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Tue Oct 23 14:37:54 EDT 2007

How many times have I sat in the tango shoe stores watching women who
cannot stand in 9 - 10 cm heels wobble around the store.  Oh but they
look so sexy.  These are usually the same women who think it is sexy to
do a high boleo while hanging off of their partner.  (OOOHHHH I look so
"Forever Tango") Part of the problem is the leader but not all of it.

Yes, a good leader should be able to navigate the floor and protect his
partner.  How does he stop a wild card from doing an unled boleo?  In my
observations the majority of these kicks and punctures come from women
who are more into looking rather than dancing.  They want to fit an
image of what they think a dancer should look like.  An experienced
dancer is aware of their feet.  I know when my feet touch anothers, I
back off immediately.  How many times have I had one of these women
continue to grind down on my foot because they don't know the difference
between the floor and someone's foot.

I always point out to the women who come to BA and sit with me, how many
stiletto heels do they see in our milongas?  Almost none, and when they
do, who is wearing them?  Usually tourists and people that do not dance
that well.  Your shoes are a tool.  Professional dancers know that
plastic stiletto heels interfere with their balance, they are not
stable.  How many of us do you see in lime green leopard print shoes
with gold trim?  We wear basic but pretty shoes.

I wore 9 - 10 cm heels before the accident last year.  Now I wear 8.
Why?  Because I am more stable.  On days when I have no pain and I am
feeling good, I still wear my higher heel.  All my new shoes are lower.
I feel the difference in my dance.  I want my dancing to be comfortable
for my partner.  I don't lose my balance or axis in the higher heel.  I
have to concentrate too much on keeping both.  I would rather let it be
natural and just dance.

I think too many women buy the wrong heel.  They buy shoes that do not
fit them properly.  But oooohhhh they look so sexy.  Look at the height
of heel that Milena Plebs wears, Carina de la Rosa, Mimi, and many
others.  They are a reasonable height.  Most wear an 8cm heel. (Some
even wear 7)  When you can control your own dance, you don't become a
part of someone else's.