[Tango-L] ADMIN: Tango-L posting rules reminders

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Fri Oct 19 15:22:44 EDT 2007

The most frequent and/or irritating habits of certain posters (not
necessarily done intentionally or maliciously--sometimes just out of
laziness);

1. TOO MUCH QUOTED TEXT. Don't quote the entire post when you reply to
it. This is usually just laziness because your mailer does it
automatically. (Try Ctrl-A in the message composition window before
typing your reply.) Actually, you don't need to quote ANY of it unless
your reply is to a VERY specific part of a previous message, in which
case limit the quoted text to JUST the two or three lines that MUST be
referenced.

2. MAIL SENT IN HTML. Send mail in plaintext, not HTML. This is not
always strictly enforced, but it does enlarge the size of the post
unnecessarily and may result in it automatically being rejected for
being too large. Check the FAQ at http://tango-L.com for some hints on
how to send "plaintext" mail if you can't figure it out.

3. FLAMES AND PERSONAL MAIL SENT TO THE LIST. (Yes, keithhk finally made
it onto the radar screen.) Unfortunately, I don't have time for much
hand-holding of list members, and the little that I do I would prefer to
reserve for questions by or innocent mistakes of newbies. Hence, take
seriously the statement at the top of the Rules section on the home page
at http://tango-l.com/#Rules "Personal attacks of individuals (also
called ad hominem attacks) have proven to be the most disruptive, with
many subscribers leaving the list as a result. Hence, violators of this
rule are subject to removal without notice." As a practical matter,
"removal" is generally relatively benign at first and consists of
varying levels of restrictions on ones ability to post unmoderated and
it doesn't take much more than a genuine attempt to return to being a
good citizen to be reinstated.

If you haven't read the list rules in a while (or at all), now would be
a good time to take a browse. There is also a nice FAQ on common
problems encountered by list members:

- Tango-L and Tango-A home page: http://www.tango-L.com/ (links to
everything below are here)

- Tango-L and Tango-A FAQ: http://tango-l.com/#FAQ

- Tango-L posting instructions and rules:
http://tango-l.com/tango-L-rules.htm

- Tango-A posting instructions and rules:
http://tango-l.com/tango-A-rules.htm

Shahrukh Merchant
Tango-L and Tango-A administrator

---
Shahrukh Merchant

Short-term apartment rental in Buenos Aires (Recoleta/Barrio Norte)
http://www.LivinginBuenosAires.com/