[Tango-L] interview in El Tangauta, October 2007

Janis Kenyon Jantango at feedback.net.ar
Fri Oct 19 01:08:25 EDT 2007

Online Interview with Graciela Gonzalez and Susana Miller
http://www.eltangauta.com/nota.asp?id=809&idedicion=0
excerpt follows:

What is the origin of the milonguero style?

GG: Before it was called Tango de Confitería. More than a name, it turned
into a fashion and a monster. With this I do not want to be pejorative. On
the other hand, some fashionable postures limit the mobility of the two
members of the couple. Many times the man has to bear an enormous weight
because the woman crosses her left arm in diagonal on his back.
SM: I believe that the form of embrace does not influence the difficulty of
moving someone. It is true that in tango many things are done because of
fads but I opt for not resisting too much because these are phenomena will
affect you anyway. Obviously, you don't have to accept every new thing but
inevitably you will imitate, because in order to preserve a principle you
have to keep updating it. When I began, the embrace was not so closed, I
closed it more and later people were also creating on their own.