[Tango-L] taxi dancers

Victor Bennetts Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com
Tue Oct 16 08:30:28 EDT 2007

My wife had luck with using the classes to generate dances, but I didn't find them so useful. In fact in one class I had a woman tell me my mark was all wrong and hand me a card for tango taxis ;-). Staying in a tango house or travelling as a group with other dancers, at least initially, is a good idea. Then you can go to a milonga together and you are already set for the first few dances.  As a leader it is a good idea to do the first few tandas with people you know because learning to navigate the typically more crowded floor is a bit of an issue. One big benefit of doing the class, for a leader, is that you will be dancing and getting acustomed to the floor right from the start. As the floor fills gradually you will have more chance to adjust as the conditions get more crowded. At least that was my experience at Nino Bien, for instance. I would also say that some milongas are more formal than others and there are plenty of decent followers who have been dancing one to two years who are prepared to take a chance on a new leader, so it is not a universal rule that you will be left hanging the whole night if you have not yet had a dance. And once you have had a couple of good nights it all gets much easier because although the tango scene is bigger in BsAs it is still a pretty small community relatively. Even in the two weeks I was there I was amazed at how often the same faces popped up. Actually the main thing that helped me was just persistence. My first night was pretty dreadful but I just kept going out to milongas and after a few nights things improved considerably. If you don't get discouraged and keep a positive attitude (important but difficult) things will improve. You probably do need a fair bit of solid social dancing in your local community (say two to three years) before you go but I am taking that as a given. I hope those observations are helpful to anyone else planning their first trip.

Victor Bennetts