[Tango-L] taxi dancers

Konstantin Zahariev anfractuoso at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 13:44:24 EDT 2007

On 10/15/07, Carol Shepherd <arborlaw at comcast.net> wrote:
> Seems to me that it's the
> women who are really stuck in BsAs, because the codes do not allow them
> to ask anybody.

Is this really true? It seems to me the cabeceo is more or less an
equal opportunity custom since both women and men can initiate an
'invite' by staring at somebody. I realize the usual line is that only
men can invite but with cabeceo, this requires a fairly narrow
definition of 'invite'. Realistically, both women and men invite with
their eyes, though on the dance floor, after that negotiation, it may
appear as if the woman only accepts.

Since in BA the cabeceo is used extensively, if not exclusively, I am
not yet convinced that women are more stuck than the men in getting
dances.

With best regards,

Konstantin
Victoria, Canada