[Tango-L] taxi dancers

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Mon Oct 15 12:31:07 EDT 2007

On Oct 15, 2007, at 9:29 AM, Astrid wrote:

> I have heard German men say that portenas are really strict about
> who they
> dance with and you hardly get a chance with them, unless you are
> really
> good, and they will brusquely turn you down if you have the nerve
> to ask
> them directly.
>
> maybe people could share more stories on this horror subject? ; )

It's quite simple, actually.... figure out how to dance, and you will
get dances.

The foreigner guys who can't get dances simply don't know how to
dance the way the Argentine women want.

If you show up to an afternoon milonga able to dance "the way they
do", then they accept you as a tango dancer. You get the first few
dances, and the whispers go around the tables, "Ooh, check out the
new guy/girl", and they are looking right at you for a dance. You
sometimes get the surprise: "You don't dance like a foreigner", which
maybe says something about all the bad foreigners out there.

One correction. The issue isn't about being "really good". "Merely
good" is sufficient if you know how to dance appropriate to the
particular Buenos Aires milonga. Overwhelmingly, this means
milonguero or close salon, but some people claim there are a couple
milongas or practicas where other styles are appropriate.

Decent does NOT mean you have to know lots of giros and steps. Decent
means:
  - Good embrace, confident movements, boldness (male and femaie)
  - Ability to navigate and deal with crowded conditions
  - Know the music, know the music, know the music

Notice that steps, technique and posture aren't on the list. Frankly,
a lot of Argentines are lacking in technique. But, they absolutely
know the music and the embrace. Tango is about energy, presence,
feel, musicality, not about style or steps. Steps are just the things
you do while doing tango.

I have made several trips in Buenos Aires over 12 years. I
experienced a lot of failure the first time I went down. I returned
determined to figure out how to do it right, and on subsequent trips
I have had a lot of success. It does take a few days for people to
start recognizing you.

There are usually more women at a milonga in Buenos Aires, so the men
can choose who they want, for good or shallow reasons. Some of the
guys are really, really shallow. One reason they prey on the
foreigners is the local women have stopped dancing with them. Another
reason is that they are just hustling: lessons, dates, money. Almost
all the Argentines who walk up to the table are in these categories,
hustlers, creeps or can't dance. I think this is more of a problem in
the milongas attended by lots of foreigners.

Here's a true example of rude behavior. He gives her a really good
first couple of dances. The next dance he causes her to stumble, and
at the end of the set offers his business card for tango lessons to
"help her with her problems".

Tom Stermitz
Denver & San Diego Tango Festivals
http://LaEternaMilonga.com