[Tango-L] taxi dancers

Astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Mon Oct 15 11:29:35 EDT 2007

>I notice it's the men who are responding to this.  Are we talking about
female taxi dancers, or male taxi dancers?  Seems to me that it's the
women who are really stuck in BsAs, because the codes do not allow them
to ask anybody.

pardon me, Carol, but this one who responded was very much a woman...
I have heard it both ways- a young, pretty lady went from Tokyo to BsAs for
a week's stay (36 hours by airplane, mind you!) only to sit around and be
ignored for the first four days at the milonga.
Anybody remember Larry Carroll's reports from Argentina years ago before he
left this list? Something like "I dressed young in a light grey silk shirt,
went to a milonga full of young people and every time I thought I had caught
somebody's attention enough to give her the cabeceo, I realised she was
concentrating on looking at someone behind me. Finally I decided to prove to
them that I could dance and went onto the dance floor during the break and
performed a state-of-the-art giro con lapiz by myself with perfect balance
and suave elegance. Still, nothing..."
I have heard German men say that portenas are really strict about who they
dance with and you hardly get a chance with them, unless you are really
good, and they will brusquely turn you down if you have the nerve to ask
them directly.
Then, there is the other side: the rich aging Japanese ballerina who spent
her time in BA picking men's wandering hands off the side of her breast in
the close embrace, the other lady who was offered private lessons by
everyone who asked her to dance, the one who was told by an Argentine:"If
you want to get any dances here, you have to wear sexier clothes and show
more skin...", and the man who had a great time dancing with all his fellow
tourists...
Argentine women have told me that BA milongas can be just as bad as Tokyo,
as far as gender balance is concerned, and while a "friend" regularly dances
with them at one milonga full of people from the same age group, he will
ignore them completely the next day at another milonga where the women are
younger...

maybe people could share more stories on this horror subject? ; )