[Tango-L] Growing up an excellent man-dancer. How?

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Wed Oct 10 14:25:57 EDT 2007

Deby:

"Take 100 dancers.  Of that 100 65 are women
and 35 are men.  So you have 35 men to dance with 65 women. Of the 65
women, maybe 15 are excellent dancers.  Of the 35 men maybe 5 are
excellent.  So there are 5 men for 15 women.  Then there are the rest of
the dancers.  Those 5 men know they are the best dancers. Those 5 men..."

Wonderful Deby !

Only I'd like to add that a number of excellent dancers between woman varies
depending on who they are dancing with. I'll explain.

I am sure if you take one of the 60 men ( which are not excellent) - for
them, yes, 15 good women only.
But if you take the rest 5 - more. They would say 50 women are good.

That is the way it is. Great man dancer is able to reveal hidden talents of
other women besides those 15 "excellent" ones. And they might even say that
some of those 15 are not that excellent like others think...

Shortly, every man dancer has his own understanding of who is the excellent
one. And the numbers do not match. So, overall, taking in account opinions
of all these 5 excellent leaders, there will be say 30 excellent women out
of 65.

What is the conclusion? The ratio of excellent women to excellent men is
even larger than 15/5.  It is 30/5.

---------------------------------
Now the main point of my message: ( and that is corresponding to the

HOW TO GROW UP AN EXCELLENT MAN-DANCER.

Many men as well as women stop progressing, taking classes, improving. Some
of them judge their talents more objectively, most - not.

I do believe that is it possible to become a great tango dancer, if one is
diligent enough, but they should have motivation. They should have a guiding
star in front of them - which is going to say them - you are not there yet !
And here what is your goal..

As for those 30.. How to let them know: You are not one of 5 ! Women are
dancing with you only because, there is not enough excellent men. Yet. Time
changes, and more people come to tango. And many men do not even suspect
that it is possible to dance much better than they do. Way better. There are
6 major styles of tango. 4 styles of milonga. And Tango vals is not a vals
if one does not make rotating turns and floating feelings... Do you know at
least half of this?

May be they understand it - they are not one of 5, but tango is not a
competition, it is a social event, when friendship count A LOT. We come to
"socialize" to our tango parties. But still, if it is possible to improve,
why not to make this gift for your beloved one? For your dancing friends?
Some of whom regularly dance with those 5 Kings of the dance? Men.... Learn
tango !

So, my question is how to bring up those excellent tango dancers:

How to retain promising beginners, how to provide a guidance of great
dancing, how to motivate men not to stop in the middle. What workshops are
possible to train great man-dancers?

Igor Polk
ipolk at virtuar.com
www.virtuar.com/tango/