[Tango-L] The Jungle and Women's Tricky Tricks

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Mon Oct 8 20:52:29 EDT 2007

Carol asked:

Another problem -- I do want to dance with a guy, but not a milonga, I would rather dance a tango.  I say, "Can we not dance to this, but dance to a tango instead?"  They walk away, and don't come back, because they feel rejected.  Can I go over to them and ask them to dance the tango? I don't think so.  How can I reconnect in that situation as well.
I don't see anything wrong in saying you'd rather dance tango. To me, that's not rejection; that's a rain check. I don't force anybody to dance milonga but when a woman says "It's too fast. I'm not good at it," I just say "it's not as fast as you think. Step on the beat, not every note and you'll come out alive at the end." More often than not, the woman will dance a tanda of milonga and when it's over, the usual response is "I danced milonga!!" One woman told me she only dances milonga with her husband. That's not rejection. The door is always open for vals and tango.

Michael
Washington, DC
Is it still summer here?