[Tango-L] Contemporary classical tango orchestras, interpretations, recordings, compositions

Konstantin Zahariev anfractuoso at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 03:50:06 EDT 2007

Hi Ilene, all,

I just listened to Javier Dominquez (El Cardenal) on the previews. I
am very impressed.

Seems to have hints of Gardel, but also, curiously, when he strains
his voice a bit like on the "El Rebenque Fatal" milonga (no.2 on
El-Cardenal-Dominguez-Cuarteto CD), hints of Roberto Chanel come out,
no? And at other times and when without strain and in medium and upper
register, he seems to have that velvety airiness, easiness, of a Raul
Beron (though not the timbre).

Also, on the recordings he did not try to put his voice up-front,
crowding out everybody else, but instead just used it as another
instrument, in the great tradition. And no reverb. It is intimate and
pleasant to listen to. What a find! Thank you!

I think he might pull off a Pensalo Bien because he can pull off the
grittiness of Chanel and grittiness is a major area where Chanel and
Echague intersect. Definitely possible. Can we beg him to do it?

By the way, I missed a great danceable orquesta tipica - so it is
coming up tomorrow.

With best regards,

Konstantin
Victoria, Canada