[Tango-L] Help to find masculinity in Tango !

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Tue Oct 2 21:31:13 EDT 2007

Keith:
Instead of concentrating on the "how," I suggest concentration on the "what." Perhaps you've heard the expression "The man is the frame. The woman is the painting." A woman can show her femininity when given the opportunity to play, especially if the man gives the woman the chance. I like to lead stepovers. Some women just step over the foot like it's an obstacle on the floor. Others take the opportunity to show off their skill, like sweeping the free foot in a wide arc, leading herself in a boleo and s-l-o-w-l-y stepping over my foot.

I remember very well a class at the New York Tango Festival (the summer version, not this week's version) where Virginia Kelly taught a class in interleading, where the woman takes an opportunity to express herself. She doesn't back lead the man, but stops the man and does what she wants. A confident man will give into the woman's desire. A confident woman is sure her partner will respect her.

A good dancing relationship should be based on mutual respect.

Michael
I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango
Washington, DC