[Tango-L] Help to find masculinity in tango!

steve pastor tang0man2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 13:55:02 EDT 2007

"Please, help to find ways to uncover masculine part of tango to
potential great leaders !"

  This is acually an interesting subject which, to me, requires a review of
  the changing roles of men and women in the U.S. in general (and perhaps
  other English speaking countries).
  I think these lyrics capture some of the confusion...

  "Real Men" by Joe Jackson (1982)

  Take your mind back - I don't know when
  sometime when it always seemed
  to be just us and them
  girls who wore pink
  and boys that wore blue
  boys that always grew up better men
  than me and you

  What's a man now - what's a man mean
  Is he rough or is he rugged
  is he cultural and clean
  Now it's all change - it's got to chage more
  'cause we think it's getting better
  but nobody's really sure.

  Some of you may remember that we went through a period here in
  the US where women routinely criticized men for being Neanderthals.
  Many men responded to this by toning down the more overt aspects
  of being male.
  Soon, historically speaking, women started asking where all of the
  "real men" had gone.
  Because of my age, and the pre feminist culture I grew up in, I think
  I have a pretty good idea of what "masculinity" looks like in dance.
  Defining it point by point is not so easy, however.
  It has a lot to do, though, with the fact that the man is usually bigger
  and stronger than the woman. Both the man and the woman
  accept this, and form their partnership acccordingly.
If you don't accept the biological difference between men and women,
  I think you will have difficulty uncovering the masculine part of tango.