[Tango-L] Help to find masculinity in tango!

Victor Bennetts Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com
Mon Oct 1 03:07:21 EDT 2007

Dancers,

Thanks so much for the reply Sergio, which my wife and I both think is spot on. We think the leader and follower enjoy the dance way more when they both relax and accept the roles.

I just want to add a few observations of my own. In Australia there is also a strong macho culture which generally is sport orientated and regards dancing as for 'girls'. I have a lot of friends who are constantly being henpecked by their wives and girlfriends to do ballroom and salsa, mostly on the back of tv shows like 'dancing with the stars'. When I tell them I dance tango and love it they generally look at me as if I am some sort of traitor to the male race. So now I usually say something like 'ok, but in tango its not about learning a whole series of steps, the man improvises the lead (like playing jazz) and the woman must follow as if she is some beautiful instrument you are playing'. Generally I get no more questions about why I might like tango, I just get questions about how I can stand to see my wife dancing with other men :-)So I think if the classes emphasise the roles and the lead and the follow rather than slavishly trying to teach a series of steps (the hated by me 8 step basic) then men usually stick with it at least as much as women.

On the follow I would just add that I don't really like the word 'surrender'. Good following in my opinion is clearly feminine but not submissive. I see leading as a bit like getting up on the bus to offer your seat to a woman or opening a door for a woman. It is something clearly masculine that comes from a different time, but we can still enjoy it today without feeling that the woman is surrendering any part of her freedom. To mark a step is to make a rather beautiful proposal where you are not expecting anything in return other than the satisfaction of seeing the step followed well. The woman might be accepting your invitation, but she is not merely surrendering to you. She does have to trust you but she might be a better dancer than you. She might actually give you some feedback in the way she steps about the speed of the music or that she wants to do some embellishments. The dance just requires that she does that in the context of your invitation. In fact I would say that dancing with a follower who just surrenders to you and gives nothing back is pretty dreary. You need them to step in the context of your lead, but to do it with some intention, resistance, intelligence whatever you want to call it.

Victor Bennetts