[Tango-L] A man's feminine side: masculinity in tango!

Jeff jjg at jqhome.net
Tue Oct 2 11:13:14 EDT 2007

Michael wrote:
> I've read plenty on the above subject and there seems to be complaints about a man being feminine or his feminine side showing. The problem seems to be that a man has to be a man. I guess a man has to dance like he's John Wayne!
>
> I paint stereotypes of the genders. A woman is weak because she publicly shows her feelings and a man is strong because he shows no emotion.
?! I don't think so. Men don't show emotion because usually when
confronted with a predator that is a sign of vulnerability. Don't think
so? Go find a junkyard dog and whimper when it growls at you. This is
basic mammalian behavior. That you (and a lot of people) are unfamiliar
with it simply supports my contention that we live in an artificial
enough environment that it is really no longer an issue. Or is it?

More to the point emotions are largely choices (except in cases of
pathologies, i.e. emotional problems). Having the discipline not to
follow them at times is, I admit, a sign of strength. The stereotype we
should battle is not of the man who can't engage his feelings, but the
hysterical woman who is unable to function because of them. (Again this
is a stereotype from the Victorian era and one that doesn't apply to
other cultures. Let me tell you about my AK-47 toting Iranian friend in
her burqa sometime.)  So lemma see, we have Shakespeares, Beethovens and
at least a few other guys who are anything but emotional cripples. You
would have to work darn hard to convince me that any of the big tango
bands (run by men) are free of emotion. Heck, that's what got me
interested in tango is that raw quality. I would tender that the issue
for men is that they feel emotions very keenly and must, with their
native urges to violence, learn to keep them in check. The scandalously
high murder and assault rates among males (and sadly, now females) are
due in part to a vilification of self-control. No enraged ex-boyfriend
needs to "get in touch with his feelings", he needs to cool down and get
a grip. This is what set the ethos for male behavior in times past.

So in tango -- and here I go trying to hop back on the topic -- I posit
that what the aim is, is for a male to be passionate at the same he is
firmly and coolly in control. It is this tension I think women would
find more interesting (and is most likely more like the milieu in which
tango used to be done). Some soppy, mawkish and excessive dancing might
impress some women, but from what I've seen it is most likely
ego-stroking for the guy to show how authentic he is.

Oh, I *never* have had anyone question my masculinity. I suspect that
the original comment from Igor was someone taking a dig at him or
possibly assuming that tango was just a subset of ballroom.
> The epitome of a man is an injured football player who tells the coach "Put me in the game, coach! Only one kidney is injured. I carry an extra in reserve."
As an athlete -- and a damn good one -- that fatuous example is simply
wrong. One of my charges who acts like that would get a stern lecture
from me all the way to the first aid station. Oh and I *do* know pro
football players. They are a huge investment for their franchise and are
very, very carefully tended. You don't cough up a million bucks a year
for one and expect them to act like a moron.
> If a man was to show an emotion, OMG, it would kill him. That's because many confuse weakness with softness.

Nope. I show emotion all the time. I just refuse to let the bad ones
control me.
> Thanks to 3 years of yoga therapy,
*Oh boy* yoga "therapy". Geez...

<snip/>
> Men seem to concentrate inordinately on figures. If they can't execute it, it's a sign of "weak" manhood.
A quote from Bruce Lee is in order here: "A lack of understanding leads
to embellishment." Yes, people (that includes women) who only do figures
or furiously embellish everything normally are substituting that for a
good understanding of the dance. Where the art lies -- and I could be
wrong -- is in what the absolute minimum you need is. I've danced with
more than my share of women that were I call ochOmatics, i.e., no matter
what I did they did some sort of ocho. It was not possible to do
anything expressive with them on the floor.