[Tango-L] Musicality. What is it?

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 30 18:58:08 EST 2007

Hi Igor,

For me musicality as it applies to dancing requires the synchronicity of the movements of the dancers to the accents or to the tempo of the music. There are of course, many different ways to do this so in my opinion, musicality cannot be too narrowly defined. Moving in concert with the music is the quality of musicality in dancing.

I've been to several musicality workshops and interestingly enough, I never found them very useful or applicable to my concept of musicality in dance. Personally, I believe that the dance itself is "musicality" in movement. So in a nutshell, musicality can be taught and learned simply by mastering rhythmic movements and doing them "in synch" with the music. Watching some performances by various professional dancers can be a good way to show or to see examples of musicality.

I have some film of Chicho dancing with Cecilia in Atlanta when he first came to the US (we were lucky enough to be his first hosts in this country). Anyway, Chicho is a total master in musicality. I also have some film of Xavier & Geraldine dancing a demo of adornments to Darienzo after a class in at the Tangocamp Sweden. It's also a wonderful example of dancing very well with the music and to the rhythm. I wish I could show them to you. I should probably show them in my class whenever I teach a class in musicality....

Cheers,

Manuel

visit our webpage
www.tango-rio.com