[Tango-L] Musicality in Tango Dancing

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Fri Nov 30 11:52:11 EST 2007

At the recent Fandango de Tango in Austin, I had the pleasure of watching
seven teaching couples perform during the Saturday evening milonga: Fabian
Salas & Carolina del Rivero,Julio Balmaceda & Corina de la Rosa, Guillermo
Merlo & Fernanda Ghi, Diego di Falco & Carolina Zokalski, Nito & Elba
Garcia, Alex Krebs & Luciana Valle, Pablo Pugliese & Noel Strazza.  What
really struck me about all of their performances was the musicality of
their movements--just how well each of the movements complex or simple fit
with the music.

At the end of their second round of planned performances, they all
switched partners and danced milonga.  You could easily see the rhythmic
drive in their movements.

It seems to me that a key to dancing well comes expressing the music first
and foremost.

Steve (de Tejas)