[Tango-L] No Subject - about statistics

Victor Bennetts Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com
Wed Nov 28 18:46:59 EST 2007

I don't think you can generalise too much. There is definitely an intellectual element to tango. Just compare it, for a moment, with a dance like salsa, which is much more about getting down and dirty (that can be fun too ;-)). Also, compare something like swing which, from what I can observe, is much more about learning spectacular acrobatic sequences.

The intellectual element is important, but I would agree it is only one element in good tango. If you watch a series of performances it is often the ones that are done with affection, tenderness and playfulness, as opposed to pure complexity and inventiveness (the intellectual part), that are the most beautiful to watch. So in my opinion you need both aspects to be a good dancer and a big helping of kindness.

I read an interview with Gavito somewhere where he said something like, 'I don't want to be the one who does the most steps but the one who gives more'. So for me good dancing starts with generosity and I agree with what Keith Elshaw says about the need for this quality on Tango-L. I would also agree that if posts lack generosity it would tend to support the view that the posters are probably not going to be great dancers. These would be the same people who start telling their leader/follower what to do in the middle of a dance and how they are not marking/following some sequence step correctly or start loudly complaining about their partner's lack of connection. In that case, they simply don't deserve dances, or any response to posts either.

Victor Bennetts