[Tango-L] Tango-L

Keith Elshaw keith at totango.net
Wed Nov 28 00:21:15 EST 2007

I'm sorry (that's a Canadian for you, eh?), I wish to say:

Tango-L was once such a great, great thing. There are many people who met
somewhere and became life-long friends (even if they have never met in
person also) through it.

About 8 years ago, one chap was very rude and disruptive for his own
inscrutable reasons, and he was taken off the list; after which a cordial
atmosphere resumed for a while. But he started a bad thing.

The list was moderated; then it was un-moderated again as it was just too
much work for the volunteers. I think that era sort of wore a lot of them
out.

Through it all, the presence behind the scenes in the person of the
orginator, Shahruk Merchant in Boston, has been, I would say, the most
wise and generous person. Always I wish to express thanks to him for what
he has done.

Because I was in tango before there was this forum. And I appreciate the
friendships it brought me and the sense of community it brought to the
tango world for so many when it was established.

Yes, there are the cycles which became tiresome to many listeros. The same
questions would come up again and again, because new people are always
coming to tango, and they find the forum, and ask once again to discuss
issues already dealt with - BUT NOT BY THEM.

Why has this forum attracted so many nit-pickers who delight in showing
how superior they wish to be seen by jumping all over innocent posters?

I don't know.

But by about 4 years ago, these folks had about killed the whole thing.

I grant that after a long time it is natural for people to kind of drift
away. There is always a kind of attrition.

But what Tango-L has experienced wasn't natural - it was forced by
inconsiderate actives.

The next time a new person writes to ask for the 1,000th time on the list
about an ocho or whatever, why can't we all just smile and be glad there
is another new person come to the party instead of yelling at them that
that is a stupid question? Know what I mean?

Why do the actives have to be so pedantic and anal about obscure
intellectual pissing contests?

Do you really have to get into a pissing match with me now about what I'm
writing here? Is it really necessary?

We don't have to wonder why the handful of people who have killed this
list do what they do. It is obvious.

Sure, we can feel sorry for them and do every time they throw out their
thing to try to convince how big it is (seems like 90% are male) - but I
feel a whole lot sorrier that they can't get along in a community
situation that was and could be a great little thing - this Tango-l.

I call for a moratorium on making innocent posters feel bad - especially
new folks. And yelling like an idiot at other people you think didn't
express themselves as you would.

If we do this, it will come back to life. You watch.

The whole tango world is growing. This certainly should, too.

Angry Hogs - you'll find European tango with strict tempo much more to
your liking, methinks. Fits good with limited sensibilities. And slapping
people down for your own amusement exhibits such, surely.

I just care, so I wanted to express what I know a lot of people feel.

Keith

ToTANGO.net