[Tango-L] Academia Estilos de Tango Argentino in Buenos Aires (ACETA REO ACADEMIA)

Janis Kenyon Jantango at feedback.net.ar
Sat Nov 24 23:38:28 EST 2007

Portions of an article at http://www.10tango.com/interior/detalle_nota.php

In 2004, the interest to preserve and transmit this heritage- what is left
of it - in some way encouraged Silvana Grill, Patricia Lamberti (tango
dancers and teachers) and Ramiro Gigliotti (musician and dancer) to present
a project to the National Bureau of Culture to create a school where young
dance couples could be trained by old milongueros, that is, with those who
have kept the tradition of dance floor tango pure. Two years later, the
project is on its feet and is called Argentine Tango Styles Academy,
inspired in the old tango practices of the neighborhood clubs, which not
being a class, allowed the amateur dancer to incorporate new steps and
figures and solve problems that may arise when dancing.
Among the milonguero teachers (the title is granted only to those who can
prove 45 years on the dance floor), are Nito and Elba, Puppy Castello,
Carlos and Rosa Pérez (from the Sunderland Club in Villa Urquiza) Turco José
and Chino Perico (also from Sunderland), Gerardo Portalea (from Sin Rumbo,
Villa Urquiza).

I knew nothing about the Academia before reading this article.

Those who participate as teachers needed to prove they had 45 years on the
dance floor, as the article states.  I have Pupy's curriculum.  He began
studying tango in 1951.  He left tango for twenty years and returned in
1985.  I heard Carlos Perez in the Solo Tango program Codigos de Milongas in
which he stated that he began dancing in 1953, but didn't dance at all from
1964 to 1994.  He had a 30-year break and still came up with 45 years on the
dance floor to be part of the ACETA program.