[Tango-L] favorite tango videos on line

Victor Bennetts Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com
Tue Nov 20 17:42:57 EST 2007

White95r>The videos you posted show some really good, skilled dancers. However, I don't understand why you call this dancing "misleading".

Thanks for your kind words. On the "misleading" point, I certainly am not trying to diminish the achievements of these tango athletes. But what makes these videos my favourites is that they contain plenty of stuff that is really helpful (for me anyway) in developing my own dance. There is nothing wrong with the beautiful complicated steps of, say Chicho, but how many times do you see guys at social dances trying really complicated stuff that they must have gotten out of CITA videos or off youtube and doing it badly? On top of that, most of the time these steps are out of context to the music and the leader ends up berating their poor follower for not knowing what to do. That is why I think videos can be misleading. Most of us don't have the time or, realistically, the ability to become as good as a professional dancer, but the videos might make us think we can pull off this stuff socially. That would be as unrealistic as me thinking I can tackle a marathon without further training because I run 10ks most weekends.

Victor

P.S. I checked out the web site - feliz cumpleanos :-)