[Tango-L] In the land of the blind, the one-eyed..etc.

Barbara Garvey barbara at tangobar-productions.com
Mon Nov 19 12:28:09 EST 2007

Thank you Charles for pointing out once again (as I have been doing for
over a decade on this very List)
the legendary nature of tango history.

as tango became newly popular again and potentially profitable, they
conveniently left out that part.<<<<

Most of the milongueros we met in the late 80s and early 90s (among the
well-known ones Finito Ribera and Pupi Castello) told us that they had stopped
dancing tango for 20-25 years previous to the early '80s, mostly giving family
as the principal reason although given the attitude or the Argentine government
to tango during many of these years, there may be additional reasons.
Thus Fino, who was considered the best social
dancer of the '80s, who died in 1987 at the age of about 55, could not have
been dancing more than a total of, if he started at 15, 20 years or so max.
So probably a majority of the "old milongueros" who say they have been dancing
for over 50 years and claim to have danced during the '40s are exaggerating
especially if they are under 75.

As for the origins of close embrace, Tete was, as far as I know, one of the first
to teach the style, in 1993 or 4, under the auspices of Susana Miller. In 1994
Daniel Trenner told me all about him, her and milonguero style as the only true
form of social tango. He then began to propagate this myth at Stanford Tango Week.

In 1987, and probably for decades or a century previous, a very simple form of
close embrace was prevalent in the center of town, but not in other barrios.
Of course I only know what I have experienced, much of which may not be true
even as experience. That is the nature of tango.

On our last trip to BsAs I bought a book which related a story about me that
while flattering wasn't at all true. And an aspiring tango historian told me
another store about myself, even more flattering, with even less basis in
reality.

So I take all tango history, especially stories told by milongueros,
including descriptions of what is happening right
now in the milongas and even my own experience, as myth and legend and advise
any truth seekers to remain skeptical. Twenty years ago, before tango
in Buenos Aires became an international commodity, there was more accurate
information to be gleaned, maybe . . . .

Barbara in Puerto Vallarta