[Tango-L] Fw: Tete and Astird

Astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Sat Nov 17 23:58:16 EST 2007

> Astrid, these old Argentinian guys (I am not specifically talking about
> any particular dancers here) are not saints or role models, far from it.
> They are good dancers however in the scope of what they do which is social
> dancing on crowded milonga floors. A lot of what looks great on stage
> could never survive in that environment as I am sure you are well aware.

No need to point that out, yes.

Plus, the particular dance Igor posted was a Valz which clearly was not
choreagraphed so it is a bit unfair to compare it to different (much slower
and more varied) music danced by professional dancer!

Are you trying to say that a professional dancer is unable to dance without
choreography?
The pro dancers that I like all have a very firm base in dancing at
milongas, and still look way better than Tete, IMO
This is not necessarily my favourite vals but just to make comparison easier
here is a vals by Jorge Torres, about who I posted earlier. Jorge teaches
wonderful vals moves in class, great fun, very smooth and soft, and
perfectly matching the 3/4 rhythm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRQGaPbeaPI

Balmaceda is also really good at vals, for exemple here:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8nJ03utgA8
As you are maybe able to see, you don't really need any choreo to dance
something like this, just the ability for those moves.

> s. But what would I know, I have only been dancing for three years - I am
> sure after I have danced weekly for a few decades (Tete style) I will have
> a totally different view of the world  (and dance) :-).

Well, I am glad you admit that to yourself and leave your options open for
learning more. And who knows, your views on style may change. The nice thing
about being a woman in tango is that you get to know so many different
things, limited only by the number of men you dance with and how they (the
men) grow. As one German tango writer once said:"Tango is...for women lack
of men, for men lack of themselves". So it would be totally
counterproductive for a woman to fanatically insist on any one style, unless
she wants to be stuck in one particular place with one particular set of
people, unable and unwilling to dance with anyone else, a situation which
would bore me.