[Tango-L] Fw: Tete and Astird

Victor Bennetts Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com
Sat Nov 17 19:44:09 EST 2007

Astrid, these old Argentinian guys (I am not specifically talking about any particular dancers here) are not saints or role models, far from it. They are good dancers however in the scope of what they do which is social dancing on crowded milonga floors. A lot of what looks great on stage could never survive in that environment as I am sure you are well aware. To make the dance interesting and fit into those crowded conditions requires a lot of subtlety and that is what I admire. Yes, the showing off may be regretable, but it is basically their world which they have kept going through a lot of turmoil in Argentina so we are privileged that it still exists and we can be invited into it. However to some extent we are always going to be outsiders when we go to places like El Beso. Plus, the particular dance Igor posted was a Valz which clearly was not choreagraphed so it is a bit unfair to compare it to different (much slower and more varied) music danced by professional dancers. But what would I know, I have only been dancing for three years - I am sure after I have danced weekly for a few decades (Tete style) I will have a totally different view of the world  (and dance) :-).

Victor Bennetts

>As far as I can see, Tete is not doing anything special and Susana Miller is
basically a clever business woman. Maybe Tete is too, anyway, I know a
Japanese lady who went to BA, sat in a milonga and there Tete walked up to
her and said:"I am Tete, would you like to take private lessons with me?" He
probably could smell that she would be able to pay for it (she is) but it
did not work as that particular lady is a fan of Fernanda and Guillermo.