[Tango-L] The Cross :: To unwind, or not to unwind, that is the question...

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 18:27:29 EST 2007

Hi Alex,

Here's my two cents worth of being a follower.  I initially
always kept crossed until I was told it was okay to unwind
myself.  I've been unwinding now for many years and it has
NEVER been a problem with any of my dance partners.  That
indicates to me that unwinding after the cross isn't a
problem in the actual dance.

The unwinding after the cross also FEELS much better, looks
better, and is way more comfortable than forcing my legs to
stay cross after I've transferred my weight.  Unwinding is
the body's natural response to realign the bone structure.

If the man did not want me unwind (e.g, he wants to uncross
me), then it's his job to keep me from fully collecting.
In other words, I unwind when he leads me to fully transfer
my weight.   Otherwise, I do not unwind and he can still
uncross me.

There have been instances in which I have been in a cross
position and the man has lead me to fully transfer my
weight from one leg to the other and I didn't unwind.  In
these instances, I didn't feel a need to fully unwind my
spine (and hence, unwind the cross).

Hope this helps,
Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Alex <alex at tangofuego.us> wrote:

> Steve:
>
> As I completed my post, what you wrote below dawned on me
> ... eventually (as
> more responses come in) I expect the majority to say that
> the uncrossing
> should be led ... or not led (led to "stay" crossed if
> you will) ...
> depending on the multitude of possibilities, the
> individual dancers, the
> music being danced to and musicality of the dancers,
> other dancers in close
> proximity and on and on ... just like everything else in
> tango ...
>
> The point is, I realized the uncrossing should be led,
> the follower should
> be attuned to the leader's intention to lead/suggest a
> side (or back) step,
> or an unwinding pivot, or whatever ... and uncross if she
> needs to ...
>
> Thanks for your thoughts ... it will be interesting to
> get more from the
> list ...
>
> Alex

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/