[Tango-L] Percentage of foreigners in milongas

caroline runcarolinerun at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 14 12:48:52 EST 2007

"My estimate of foreigners at Nino Bien last Thursday was 95%."

Huh...I was there for the month of October. Went to Nino Bien almost every Thursday. And each time, it was only one foreigner I danced with (and the foreigner was a wonderful dancer from Italy who was very popular with the Argentine women) versus multiple local men. I would say overall, it was more or less 50/50.

The more popular the milonga, the more the tourists will go there.

I.E. Gricel on Monday nights, Nino Bien on Thursdays, and Salon Canning on Fridays.

The biggest downside of milongas populated with tourists is not so much their dancing as is the dance floors would get so packed that I would end up going after midnight when it starts to calm down and there is more room on the floor. I've noticed many tourists actually do dance very well and are quite respectful of local customs. Yes, you do get the odd tourist who hasn't got a clue and thus really stand out as someone who is not fitting in very well. I find this applies more to men than to women. But I am quite sure when they go back again and again, they begin to fit in more and more as they  become more familiar with the argentine way of dancing and socializing at milongas. It's the first time tourists who just arrived that stand out the most. I would see those same tourists a few weeks later fitting in much better and getting more dances.

Go to those same places on other nights of the week and it's mostly locals, at least 90%.

Caroline