[Tango-L] Taxi dancer service, NYC

tangomarty@aol.com tangomarty at aol.com
Wed Nov 7 12:58:58 EST 2007

This request is geared especially toward Janis and Doris who seem to know a lot about the taxi dancer services in BA, but I welcome responses from anyone with knowledge in this area. I believe there is a need for this type of service in the US as well, NYC in particular, and I was wondering about the logistics and relative pricing structure that would make such a business plan work. Any comments or advice you can provide would be sincerely appreciated.

In my humble opinion, I do not think this arrangement detracts from the spirit of tango, provided it is done in a courteous, professional, discrete manner; on the contrary, I think it will enhance the growth of tango, for both locals as well as visiting tourists, as so many could benefit from dancing rather than sitting. It will allow people to dance with someone of a skill level they would ordinarily not experience. Anything that makes the milonga experience more enjoyable for a larger audience should be a net plus for the growth of tango.

1. what is the cost to hire a taxi dancer, say average ability, per hour or per milonga? What is the cost for an advanced milonguero, or tanguera? Is there a wide variance in prices depending on the skill level ? Should the pricing be flexible according to demand/requests for a specific dancer? For ie, in NYC, jduging by the greater number of men I see sitting, I would anticipate greater demand for experienced tangueras, so they could get a higher price. Does the individual dancer set the price, or the intermediary agency?

2. What is the usual commission charged by the broker/agency for the service? Does this fee come from the dancer or the customer?

3. Is the taxi obligated to dance every single tanda, or some portion, ie, 2 out of three tandas?

4. What part of the dancers expenses are covered, ie, tranportation, entrance, refereshments? Is tipping normal/encouraged/discouraged?

I thank you in advance for your feedback/flames/accusations of lunacy.

Martin