[Tango-L] Speed of movement around milonga's floor

Gary Barnes garybarn at ozemail.com.au
Tue May 29 04:57:48 EDT 2007

Joking aside, I guess my points were:

1) number of songs to get once around the floor is not a useful
metric, as size of floor is unknown
2) I can progress at various speeds, but it depends critically on
what the guy in front of me is doing.
3) The ronda should exist (no Brownian motion), and should progress;
4) it is everyone's job to keep the ronda at a nice steady pace
5) "nice steady pace" is in the eye of the beholder, or preferably, a
group of beholders.

On our floor, which is pretty small (maybe 9 metres/yards by 6), I
feel most comfortable when I get around about once in a song or so --
depending on many things including who is in front of me and behind,
whether there are 2 people or 40 out there, who they are, how many
beginners are on the floor, and of course the song.  Others at our
milonga would prefer it slower, or faster.

I imagine that if someone takes 4 songs to get around the floor then
the floor may be large, and/or the local conditions (crowding, habit)
mean slow is good.  Now, if someone takes 4 songs and everyone else
is getting around in one, we have a problem...

Gary