[Tango-L] Words and music - Osvaldo Barrios

TangoJunkies tangojunkies at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 15:28:12 EDT 2007

Hi Jake,

  I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in Atlanta. Just for those people who might be curious about the live music Duo that played at the Milonga you attended:

  The bandoneon player is Osvaldo Barrios and he was accompanied that night by Kristin Wendland (Emory). Osvaldo has been living in Atlanta for some time now, but he also plays often with his long-term friend Ruben Stefano (Tango to tango) from Miami.

  I love to watch the way these musicians interact - they're completely in tune with each other and they have "conversations" that remind me of the one's I have when I am dancing with someone - there's passion, there's sweet talk, there's challenge, there's excitement, there's just flow or devotion, and there are lots of jokes... in short: connection. And what makes dancing with them so special is that on top of that they connect with us, the dancers... We just love them. :-)

  Cheers,
  Antje

"Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com)" <spatz at tangoDC.com> wrote:
  Again, I recently danced in Atlanta, to an entirely successful duo
(Manuel can verify this, I'm sure: he was there), and they succeeded
because they respected the lyrics-- and they had no singer. I can still
remember that they gave an interesting treatment to "Caminito," although
the particulars escape me, because the vocal line had (to my ear) a
unique canyengue swing to it. You could sing along to their work,
provided you knew the words-- AND it wasn't a carbon copy. If a gringo
schmuck like myself can enjoy the music on that level, it must point to
something effective.