[Tango-L] North American tango orchestras/bands

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Thu May 24 10:36:00 EDT 2007

AJ wrote:

> Most film maker understand the mechanics of cameras but,
> regardless of that your metaphor is very flawed. A DJ is like ..

You've muddled the metaphors. My example - which you called "perfect" -
was in relation not to DJs, but to 'unqualified' dancers criticising
musicians.

Whcih reminds me: musicians that reject dancers' criticism might have a
bit more credibility if they were as quick to reject dancers' applause...

> An understanding of the music at a higher level in fact DOES allow them
> to understand the affect of the music beyond mere listening and dancing.

AJ, there is nothing "mere" about listening and dancing. At the milonga,
listening and dancing is 100% of the experience we have of the music.

In contrast, the stuff (or indeed staff) that is hidden "behind" the
music, or exists only at the higher level you describe, or for whatever
reason is perceivable/understandable only to those such as yourself that
have been elevated by formal musical training, is simply not part of this
picture. It's merely incidental.

The good DJ knows this and doesn't let these incidentals distract him from
delivering the essentials. This is how he hits the mark for the dancers.
Yes, his job is much easier than the musician's - playing a great piece of
music takes one button press not thousands - but the dancers judge success
not by effort but by results.

And here's the opportunity for musicians to learn from DJs. Lesson #1:
notice how many Piazzolla pieces a successful DJ plays per night?
Approximately zero. That surely makes it obvious to just about every live
band I've heard in the last few years how they can improve their sets in
one fell stroke.

--
Chris