[Tango-L] North American tango orchestras/bands

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Wed May 23 22:02:58 EDT 2007

Dear A:

A DJ or a dancer can certainly criticize tango music in a competent way. One
does not need a scintilla of musical training to decide what one likes or
what works for one's purpose. Nobody has accused the musicians of playing
bad music or playing badly so far. Most of the criticism is about the way
the music works for the tango dancers.

I know several tango musicians, most are extremely good at their job and
their art. These guys are the real deal, the authentic, Argentine tango
musicians who actually played with the tango orchestras that we know and
love. However, as good as they are and as good as their music is, the trios,
quartets and sextets they perform with do not sound like the rhythmic
orchestras of the golden era of tango. Even some top notch, excellent, world
class orchestras whose talent and artistic prowess is incredibly good still,
do not play music suitable for a milonga.

The fact is that many contemporary tango orchestras play music of extremely
high quality, but not the rhythmic stuff which the dancers love. There are
some notable exceptions but they do not play in the USA (that I'm aware of).
Anyway, the DJs and dancers are frustrated because we do not get enough
danceable music from the contemporary tango musicians. I hope that more
musicians will decide to create danceable tango music. It does not have to
be a copy of the classics. The musicians  own style and artistic creativity
can shine. Actually it would be much better if each new group would have
their own distinctive style. It would be great to have good, new,
acoustically superior music to play at the milongas.

Regards,

Manuel