[Tango-L] North American tango orchestras/bands

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Wed May 23 19:18:05 EDT 2007

This is from a private responce, but I want to make it public:

D'Arinezo is simple !?
Ok. Why not to play like D'Arienzo, then. If it is simple. Or it is so
simple that our advanced musicians do not even bother to try. But as a test?
Well, at dancing parties we want sometimes something simple. It goes in
waves, you know..
How about Firpo, Canaro, Ortiz, Orquesta Tipica Victor? Their groups, trios
and quartets? No. You jump to Biagi. Ever seen a musician trying to play
Chopin before a folk dance is mastered?

"Simple" is not a name-calling. It is the basis. It takes the true
understanding to make things simple. Mastering "simple" is a sign of
maturity. My plea to play simple does not insult anyone, except those who
deserve be insulted. If you are not able to play simple, you should not even
try to play complex! Otherwise you do not understand what you are doing, and
that is exactly what I am talking about.

Biagi style is based on older, more traditional tango. How can you possibly
study and make conclusions about Biagi, if you do not know the basis Biagi
stand upon? You must understand that Biagi's audience was savvy, and the
goals of Biagi was to play music and impress those who knew older staff
already. That is how I understand it.

With modern technology you have way more music examples, material to study
than any of musicians of the past. Use it!

I do not know the group you was talking about, but I know that there are
good musicians trying to play good tangos. For example, San Francisco's
Tango No 9 is very good. They play in many styles and very rhythmically and
danceably correct. And they can play Piazzolla too. My greatest respect to
those who play right tangos for us !!!

Igor Polk.
PS,
Aj, there is NO ONE IN THE WHOLE WORLD WHO KNOWS HOW TO PLAY TANGO LIKE IN
OLD TIMES !
There is no one to take advice from.
There is only one source of knowledge - CDs with old records.

And THAT IS GOOD ! It puts everyone in the world on the same starting line !
Buy 200 Tango CDs, study them  - and here you are - with some luck you are a
TANGO GOD !!!

There is nothing really special about it. The recopy is simple: start with
beginning ! Start building your house from the basement !

WHY, WHY, WHY, ( as Aj said ) there are so many great, educated, talented
tango musicians,
and there are so many of them who can not play tango right !!!!?????
There is only two answers, either they are ignorant, ignorant to dancers, to
history, or not as good as they think about themselves.

Igor Polk
ipolk at virtuar.com
510-582-8711
510-610-8711