[Tango-L] North American tango orchestras/bands

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Wed May 23 16:05:20 EDT 2007

On 5/23/07, AJ Azure <azure.music at verizon.net> wrote:

> > Disclaimer:
> >
> > For what it's worth I am a DJ.  I started DJing in self defense,
> > because I hate dancing to any old random crap that gets sent out
> > of a speaker.
>
> Not much since a DJ doesn't have a musical education and does not comprehend
> presenting nor arranging live music..
> Isn't interesting that the least musically capable are the first to step up
> to criticizer and in no competent way? It's been said before and warrants
> being said again, if you want live music to improve, help it don't slam it.
> The below post is pretty much rude and lacking in basic conceptualization of
> what it takes to actually play live music. Try it for a day then criticize.
> Now if you want to make helpful suggestions, more power to you but, save the
> prick-like commentary because, it doesn't make musicians want to listen to
> you.

Dear 'A':

I think it would help to listen to tango dancers. Most of us recognize
and admire the technical ability of current day tango musicians in
creating tango music. Much of it is very very nice to listen to.
However, when we get on the dance floor, very little of what
contemporary tango bands play has the clear rhythmic qualities that
Golden Age tango music has. If contemporary tango bands could recreate
some aspect of D'arienzo (like Los Reyes del Tango), Di Sarli (like
Gente de Tango), Calo (San Souci), or danceable Pugliese (Color Tango
most of the time) they would have an incredibly large following.

We're just speaking as dancers, not as musicians! If you want us to
want you at our milongas, just listen to us! We would love to have
danceable live music at our milongas!

Ron