[Tango-L] Flying into Buenos Aires

=?windows-1250?Q?Ecsedy_=C1ron?= aron at milonga.hu
Wed May 16 17:21:58 EDT 2007

Hi Manuel,

It is not unprecedented to have large runways without radar.

see: http://www.kentnews.co.uk/kent-news/Airport-without-radar-until-end-of-the-year-newsinkent1606.aspx

or FAA regulations at

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/ATpubs/PCG/N.HTM

Actually, international flight control regulations have very specific rules for approaching and landing on runways without radar.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedural_control

Also: I was in BsAs between 9 March and 1 April. We were on time, no hickups.

(However you should have seen what the German pilot did when we landed in Budapest (Frankfurt-Budapest)... He landed the plane like we were the first wave of an invading army: descent in a few minutes from high altitude (we were flying around 15kms at 1030km/h - we arrived ahead of schedule in a theoretically 1h40min flight after a 50min delay...), approaching the airport from an almost 90 degree-angle in patchy, but thick low altitude clouds, then stopping the turn towards the runway about a second before touchdown. I've heard the tires touching the runway at the same time I saw the first meter of asphalt under the wings. I almost clapped.)

Cheers,
Aron