[Tango-L] HouseDance - not just walking

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 12:18:26 EDT 2007

They teach
> bits from showy dancing that they don't even do
> themselves in a milonga.
> That's the part that I don't get, why Argentines who are
> such beautiful
> social dancers themselves are so inclined to foster
> non-social dancing in
> their teaching.
>
> Fan

A few years ago, I hosted some workshops with Diego DiFalco
and Carolina Zolkavski.  The last workshop I had left open
for them to teach what they thought our community needed.
They came up with this difficult combination that involved
several difficult pivots with the woman staying on her
axis.  Not a move that I could envision anyone in our
community doing successfully at a milonga.  After watching
people work really hard (and happily) at this combination
and seeing them actually improve, I turned to Diego and
said, "You just wanted people to work on their balance,
didn't you?".  He replied, "Yeah."  We both smiled.

Never saw anyone here perform that combination afterwards,
but their normal turns sure got better.

Trini de Pittsburgh