[Tango-L] HouseDance - not just walking

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Mon May 14 11:18:40 EDT 2007

Wonderful post Fan, I could not say it better myself. I will say that as far
as the pros teaching bits and pieces of their better (more intricate and
showy) stuff, I believe it is because that is what that people who come to
their classes expect. Also, there is a wealth of material that can be
learned by taking those classes. Technique and timing are absolutely
necessary to do those steps well. Body control and proper posture are also
emphasized in these lessons. All these things are invaluable to the social
dancer as well.

Many people who love the tango were first attracted to it by the wonderful
performances of the tango stars. Although they also learn all about the
magic of social dancing, many people still respect and admire the pros and
their impeccable dancing. The people also want to be better dancers and they
aspire to emulate their tango idols.

There is nothing wrong with learning more about tango and perfecting one's
technique or broadening one's repertory. Unfortunately some people bypass
the basics and never really learn to simply dance tango. They are the ones
who concentrate on trying to learn performance tango and try to practice
what they have learned at the local milonga. Obviously, this causes other
folks to become frustrated, irritated and irate with the inexperienced
"obstacles". Unfortunately this degenerates into lumping all advanced or
performance style dancers into the "bad guy" role. That's too bad for a lot
of reasons. Not least of all the unfairness of the accusations but also the
fact that many self styled "social dancers" could definitely benefit from
more advanced classes with the pros they so disdain.

Cheers,

Manuel