[Tango-L] HouseDance - not just walking

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Sun May 13 17:11:12 EDT 2007

On 5/13/07, Keith <keith at tangohk.com> wrote:

> You may not like it, but the best dancers are professional stage performers and I, for one, want to see the best. So, thanks Igor - great video - wish I was young enough to try it.

'Best' is context-dependent. The skills needed in exhibition tango and
social tango are different. There may be some tango stage performers
who are very good social dancers, but this is hardly guaranteed and I
have seen performance oriented dancers become a navigation hazard on
the social dance floor.. Even if a stage performer looks good on the
social dance floor, looks can be deceving. The test of a good social
tango dancer is how well-connected he or she is to you (and other
dancers) on the milonga dance floor. The former may not be that
apparent until you are in the abrazo.

Ron